Old August 13th 03, 12:52 AM
Richard Clark

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:52:05 -0700, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

It's admittedly hard for me to follow what you've written, but it sounds
like you're saying that:

Hi Roy,

1. Source impedance affects line SWR, and
2. It's impossible to tell by how much.

Did I get that right?

No. The sources offered and the data exhibited provide a very clear
answer. To state this yet again, it is the lack of knowledge in the
distances traversed between reflecting interfaces that introduces the
Mismatch Uncertainty. A smart lad might conspire to present any
particular Power measurement if he could withhold other details from
scrutiny. A lad who considered himself smart may do the same but
think he invented a free power amplifier (or dissipationless load).

This is simply an account of poor boundary controls that turn some
folk into magicians and others into the reincarnation of Galileo.
Either outcome is achieved through delusion.

Incidentally, you've brought up a new topic, that of an SWR meter.

Look at the Subject line.

As for the aside about SWR meter reading, I have performed SWR
measurements with a variety of NBS methods (many hundreds of times) -
none of them described here very often, and some never at all. I
doubt any here are so well versed in these methods as to challenge my
data by employing them (it would only confirm the results). I would
be happy to see as much effort put to it - in that it would represent
a technical rebuttal rather than echoed denials. I would be happy to
retract my points if someone revealed an error of commission/omission
- such has not happened and discussion of that data has been wholly
absent.

Look Roy, skip the rhetoric (from all sources including me) and
explain or refute the data I obtained. If you cannot accept it,
reveal the error. If the method is too tedious to replicate - say so.
This is not the first time I've broached the subject and I certainly
don't expect many to care for one, or follow blithely for another. It
only matters in issues of accurate Power determination.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC