Old May 21st 04, 02:47 AM
Mike Coslo

Greg wrote:
I recently acquired an ldg lz 100 and hooked it up as soon as I got
it. The dipole I have now will tune with a manual tuner to below
1.5:1 on 40m-10m. The autotuner won't tune to below 1.5:1 in any
band. Am I doing something wrong or did I just not get a decent
tuner. I oftentimes won't even get an SWR green light to show it has
tuned and when I do, the SWR is high. Should I put a balun on or
what? The dipole is 66 feet long in my attic... but as I stated, it
tunes awesome with the manual tuner. If you want to email me, please
email to The email here is incorrect.

You should be able to tune the antenna on 40 meters, as it is resonant
around 7.1 mHz to start with. 20 meters - maybe. 15 meters should tune okay.

Your manual tuner tunes okay because it will tune a much higher range
of mismatches, assuming it is a "T" type tuner.

The autotuner I have seen that has the widest range for tuning
mismatches is of all things, an MFJ.

This doesn't mean your tuner is bad, From what I have seen of the LDG's
- they are nice well constructed units. I'd keep it and modify the antenna.

- Mike KB3EIA -