Old March 6th 04, 08:53 PM
Jon M. Hanson

(SouthDakotaRadio) wrote in
:

In the 80s, it was their steadfast opposition to creation of a
codeless amateur license class.

In the 90s, it was Low Earth Orbiting Satellites (LEOs.)

Today, it is Broadband via Power Lines (BPL.)

In earlier times, hams were known for being on the cutting edge of
technology. But in recent years, hams are known for repeatedly trying
to stand in the way of new technology.

Sad irony, isn't it?

There are many interferance issues with BPL especially at shortwave
frequencies. It's not only amateur radio operators that use these
frequencies but the military and federal government do as well. Amateur
radio operators are sworn to provide emergency communications in times of
national disaster when other forms of communication are down or
overwhelmed. They are simply bringing to the regulatory agency's attention
the possibility of them not being able to fulfull their duties if they are
needed.
How would you feel if a hobby that you have spent a lot of time and
money in is suddenly rendered worthless?
Disclaimer: I am an amateur radio operator (N7ZVJ) but I don't
operate at shortwave frequencies.