Old March 19th 04, 09:52 PM
Dan Jacobson

Default who would by a scanner in France?

In alt.radio.scanner, Bird said:
B It's true that french version receivers are the most restrictive ones
B (the Icom R5 here is nothing else than a broadcast radio!), we are
B such a bizarre country, but law is law!!

Who would by a scanner in France then, instead of buying it in a
neighboring country before returning home?

Well, I suppose there must be some market, as Icom bothers to make a
French R5.

Hmmm, so far, that makes 1. US cellular blocked, 2. France most
everything blocked, as the only special editions manufacturers make in
addition to their unblocked worldwide version, as far as I know.

I suppose manufacturers could make many different versions to comply
with each little country's laws, but don't bother, as people will just
smuggle in the worldwide version anyway.