Old March 21st 04, 03:05 PM
Xanax

Can you connect the discriminator o/p of the aor ar 8200mk3 to the video in
of a scart cable and tune around 2.4G??

Xanax.
"Steve Uhrig" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:28:10 GMT, "DougSlug"
wrote:

Lots of great info so far, krackula and Steve--thanks! One question: what
do you mean by "soft video"?

The receiver doesn't have the bandwidth for the extremely wide
(relatively speaking) video signal of several megacycles. At a minimum
you'd have to come off the I.F. and I still doubt you'd see decent
performance.

I don't know the receiver, but it needs to demodulate FM video to work
at all.

The various ICOM receivers with accessory video adapters stink, but
without something better to compare them to you wouldn't know.

'Soft' means loss of the high frequency component at the band edges,
which is contrast and sharp details. Take your TV, turn the control
down from sharp to soft, and drop the contrast way back and you'll
see. Colors, if you use color, will not be as crisp.

If you use a decent high gain/very directional antenna on the receive
end, you'll have a huge amount of fade margin and due to FM capture
effect you are very unlikely to see interference from any Wi-Fi or
cordless phone unless someone happened to be using the other device in
the path (unlikely) and close enough to the receive antenna (also
unlikely).

Using the standard FCC Part 15 transmitter with very low TX power and
making more system gain on the receive end where it's cheaper and
legal, will go a long ways towards others intercepting the signal.
It's not nearly as easy as the media likes to claim, or persons who
haven't really done it. If someone is within maybe 150 feet with an
average receiver they may get lucky. Anyone trying to intercept with
purpose-built equipment could do better, but I rather doubt that's a
concern.

I've done just what I described a zillion times all over the world and
had essentially no problems. I shot across the entire city of Seoul,
over 20 miles airline from high rise rooftop on the receive end with a
dish to a covert transmitter with patch antenna in another building
with a facing window. Other than having some difficulty aligning the
razor sharp patterned receive antenna with a compass and map it worked
perfectly. You won't have an alignment problem because you can see the
other end.

The directional antenna (acceptable for use on receive end only) gives
you a much stronger pattern in the direction in which it is pointing,
and tends to reject signals from above and below, sides and rear.
Depending on the size/gain of the antenna, your pattern might be 60
degrees down to 10 degrees or so. The more the better. Antennas at 2.4
are relatively small and lightweight and little wind loading.

Read the antenna article in the White Papers section of our website
for more info on antennas, gain, and why it matters.

Steve

Steve Uhrig, SWS Security, Maryland (USA)
Mfrs of electronic surveillance equip
website http://www.swssec.com
tel +1+410-879-4035, fax +1+410-836-1190
"In God we trust, all others we monitor"