Old March 22nd 04, 03:51 PM
Andy in NJ

"KD2PM" wrote in message
Been a while since I traveled the GSP, I am normally on the NJTP.

Sometimes they throw up the EZ-pass monitors to check on traffic

conditions
by monitoring the EZ Pass vehicles to determine speed and thus traffic
conditions. But that would mean you should see the antennas pointing down

at
the roadway. If these have more of an OMNI positioning, beats me. I would
have to drive up there. I sometimes frequent 131 to 145 so I may not see

it
if it does not head up that far.

These towers have antennas that appear to operate in the same frequency
range as cell towers. They are placed in omni position, like cell towers, so
I don't think they're watching ez-pass. I figured it was probably part of
some state police communications network, but I'm not sure. I rarely travel
above exit 128, so I am unsure if they continue up that way.