Old May 22nd 04, 03:06 PM
Bob Miller

On 22 May 2004 01:52:11 -0700, (Rich) wrote:

Hello all. I'm thinking about a wire antenna ... even thinking about
buying a pre-made 40-10m (short) antenna ... I have about 40' to play
with on the 11th floor balcony facing due west (USAF member stationed
in Ankara, Turkey). I also have a tuner that I've never used. I
think I'm primarily interested in primarily 10, 20 and 40 ... and
perhaps 12, 15, 17 and 30? I'd love to work Europe and possibly back
to the states if possible (barefoot).

I'm not sure 40' is long enough to get on 40 meters. I tried a 44'
dipole (3/8 wave on 40 meters), and it would only tune 30m through
10m. I extended it to 51', and now it tunes 40m, too. It's fed with
ladder line to an antenna tuner, an mfj unit.

You might just put up the longest dipole you can, 40' or so, feed it
with ladder line, and then tune it with the tuner you already have. If
it has balanced line connnections, you're all set. If not, a simple
coax choke will transition the balanced line to your tuner.

bob
k5qwg

I happened across an ad for Van Gorden Engineering baluns &
insulators, Hi-Q 1:1 or Hi-Q 4:1 Baluns. I have no clue as to how to
choose one beyond knowing they connect coax to a dipole. Is coax
length important?

Can anyone explain how I'd choose and install a balun given my desire?
1:1 or 4:1 impedance ratio?

Finally, can anyone suggest an off-the-shelf antenna based on their
experiences with it?

Thanks!
Rich
(Please don't reply via e-mail ... deed address)