Old May 22nd 04, 03:43 PM
Cecil Moore

Mark Keith wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

Jim Leder wrote:
I could put up a 135 foot center fed doublet with the apex at about 40 feet
and the ends sloping down to about 15 feet (another inverted Vee, best I can
do with my trees). I would feed it with 450 ohm ladder line to the shack,
mate it with a 4:1 current balun and then connect with a short piece of coax
to my TS450's ATU. Seems like it should work, but I guess I need to ask some
questions:

I don't really recommend that myself. It might work, actually, it
probably would work, but it's hard on that tuner which is not really
made for that type of job.

If he's willing to use three different feedline lengths, it will work
like a charm and his ATU will be happy. A 130 ft. dipole is covered on
my web page. Driving the SWR lower than 3:1 by switching the length of
the feedline is a snap and then the ATU is happy, usually over the entire
band. For my 130 ft. dipole fed with "450" ohm ladder-line, a feedline of:

88 ft. works well with my IC-756PRO ATU on 40m, 15m, & 12m.
95 ft. works well with my IC-756PRO ATU on 30m, 17m, & 10m.
105 ft. works well with my IC-756PRO ATU on 20m & 12m.
(Note that the difference in 88 ft. and 105 ft. is 1/2 WL on 12m.)

So with an ATU, three lengths of ladder-line cover all the HF bands
for a 130 ft. dipole. Two 4PDT relays are all that are needed to
switch in three lengths of ladder-line. For 100 watts, two OMRON
LY4's work well.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp