Old April 16th 04, 09:55 PM
Andy in NJ

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
I have started looking mostly at the Bearcat handhelds out there, but
would like to hear from folks on their opinions on what to look for.
I don't want to get something too complicated to learn to use. Is
Trunk Tracking important? Can you basically just turn those scanners
on and use them or is there a programming process to go through?

Also, of the Uniden models out there, are some becoming outdated (for
example, I see the BC245 around, but it appears it's 4-5 years old
now). Should I be looking to digital?

First off, it depends on what you intend on listening to. If there are no
agencies that you are interested using a trunked system, there's no need for
a trunking scanner, unless you're just planing for future changes in
communications. If you're in an area like the county north of me, which uses
mostly VHF frequencies, then an older scanner without so many features may
be what you want. In my area, the State Police use an 800mhz trunked system
and the Ocean County sheriff's dept dispatches some of the local police
departments via a 400mhz trunked system. County EMS is on VHF and fire on
30mhz. The next town over uses a 500mhz digital system.

I would get a scanner that has a direct entry keypad and PC programming.
Today's scanners come with so many channels and so many scanning options,
it's easier to type it all in the computer and upload to the scanner. A
scanner that can display an "AlphaTag" is another neccessity. This is
usually a feature with a PC programmable scanner.

Another thing you have to consider is if you want a handheld or base. If
you're using a handheld, then a scanner with "PL tone" or "CTCSS decoding"
is probably not a feature you'd be concerned about unless there are multiple
agencies close by that use the same frequency and you want to squelch some
out. "PL Tones" would only be a concern if you're using it base and have it
hooked up to an outdoor antenna. With that setup, you may here multiple
agencies on the same frequency, such as we have here in NJ with the VHF EMS
frequencies. It's not uncommon to hear Hunterdon County EMS dispatch on our
Ocean County EMS VHF dispatch frequency (I hope that last paragraph isn't
over your head! ).

If you have any questions, please email me or reply here.
--
73! de Andy KC2SSB
http://shorecogs.tripod.com