Old May 22nd 04, 11:18 PM
G.Beat

"blair thompson" wrote in message
I'm certain this question must have been dealt with before,
but I recently acquired a Cushcraft R5 vertical which looks a bit
weather-beaten.

I was wondering whether, if I aerosol-sprayed the aluminum,
elements, with an appropriate color, it might impair the performance
of what is already a compromise antenna. I know radio waves don't care
about appearance, but I would like to "tart it up" a bit.

Thanks for any information.
73
Blair VE7HHH

Blair,

Here is another R5/R7 "clean and repair" web site.
http://home.planet.nl/~fhvgeerligs/Ant/R5/onhr5eng.htm

IF you do use steel wool, use a good damp cloth to remove any steel slivers
that
you may get. A very fine emery paper (400 to 600 grit) may be a better
choice for
corrosion areas.

IF you are going to be near a salt-water environment a clear coat should be
used.

Greg
w9gb