Old May 23rd 04, 01:32 AM
Ed Price

"G.Beat" wrote in message
news:naQrc.24177$zw.4857@attbi_s01...
"blair thompson" wrote in message
I'm certain this question must have been dealt with before,
but I recently acquired a Cushcraft R5 vertical which looks a bit
weather-beaten.

I was wondering whether, if I aerosol-sprayed the aluminum,
elements, with an appropriate color, it might impair the performance
of what is already a compromise antenna. I know radio waves don't care
about appearance, but I would like to "tart it up" a bit.

Thanks for any information.
73
Blair VE7HHH

Blair,

John Tait, EI7BA has a good web page on the Cushcraft R5/R7 antenna
http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/r7_vertical.htm

My preference for aluminum is NOT to paint it. Shiny aluminum can not

exist
long in an
oxygen environment without developing a dull gray patina (reaction of AL
with O2).
This patina is conductive.

Aluminum oxide is conductive?!

Ed