Old May 4th 04, 08:57 PM

Get a spectrum analyzer.

(John Neiberger) wrote:
I have a business site that is suffering from rather dramatic EMI/RF
noise that is causing problems with both the voice and data networks.
I see a lot of errors due to noise on the data network, and the
handset cords on our user's phones pick up a rather painful
intermittent static burst.

I have a handheld EMI detector but it's not a scanner and doesn't tell
me what frequency is actually causing the problem. I think I know the
source of the problem but I need some help nailing it down.

I'm considering the Opto Digital Scout since it appears to do what I
want. My hope is that I could send this to the site and have them let
it run for a few hours, and then look through the logs to see what
frequencies are being hit. My best guess is that the offending source
is in the HF to VHF range, but that's just a guess.

Would the Digital Scout be a good choice for this sort of application?
I could hire someone to do an on-site analysis but that would probably
cost more than buying the Scout on my own.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
John

--