Old May 21st 04, 02:25 PM
Clay

"David Clark" wrote in message
news:40ade539.2586268@news-server...
On Tue, 18 May 2004 00:05:16 GMT, "Clay"
wrote:

"George Blomfield" wrote in message
Yes, the 1550 is (IMHO) much better than the PCR, but please don't
take my word for it - try them both (as I did). As to the price
difference, well yes, I would not expect them to be the same price -
it's enough just to look closely at the quality of the mechanical
construction and the reason is already obvious there. Plus there is
more of course. I would not expect to buy a Ferrari for the price of a
Ford, even though a Ford would get me from A to B too - but who would
not prefer to drive a Ferrari... :-)

Yes, I've seen them both, both inside and outside. And I can't imagine what

you
mean by 'quality of the mechanical construction' as being such a
differentiation.

Well I can, actually, because I have both. The PCR case is made of
cheap folded sheet metal. When I bought it, it was already slightly
rusty inside. The WR1550e is housed in a beautiful, solidly made,
powder-coated aluminium extrusion. It does show that this manufacturer
has attention to detail.

In any case, I believe George does not make this his sole
differentiation - read his post carefully.

David

All it shows is that the manufacturer has access to the same boxes used by the
$20 12v-110v inverter makers that are also packaged in a 'beautiful solidly made
power coated aluminum extrusions'.

I do have to admit that those 'looks' helped a lot when I sold mine [while
keeping my pcr1000 that is 'beautifully compact' in its' custom designed case
and fits much better in my briefcase too...]

For me, the case wasn't worth 2x the price for indistinguishable differences in
performance.