Old May 28th 04, 01:26 PM
Bob Parnass

On Fri, 28 May 2004 06:57:07 -0400, Jim Mac Donald wrote:

Just keep in mind the capture range with most frequency counters is about five
(5) feet for a VHF/UHF 5 watt handy talkie and twenty five (25) feet for a base
station or 35 watt vehicle transceiver. With a beam antenna and amp it may be
possible to get out five hundred (500) feet. ...

That sounds low. I tested MFJ 886 and an Aceco FC2002
frequency counters using an ICOM IC-32AT dual band
walkie-talkie on flat terrain -- line of sight conditions.
I published these results in Monitoring Times:

146 MHz:
MFJ886 - 261 ft.
FC2002 - 185 ft.

446 MHz: