Old May 23rd 04, 06:37 PM
Cecil Moore

alhearn wrote:
Herein lies one of the big problems with the "reflection" definition,
conceptually.

That's why I often resort to a signal generator with a circulator/load
to illustrate my point. That signal generator *is* a constant power
source.

Therefore, what is commonly called "reflected power" is power that
never leaves the transmitter and is dissipated as heat by the
transmitter's internal 50 ohm impedance (if the transmitter's design
doesn't prematurely shut down first).

You can mount an argument that if the source doesn't see its
source impedance, then there is a reflection at that internal
mismatch. But that's not what is commonly called reflected power.

When we talk about reflected power on this newsgroup, we are usually
referring to the forward power rejected by a mismatch between the
transmission line Z0 and the antenna impedance (associated with mismatch
loss). In a typical ham radio antenna system, the "lost" reflected power
is forced to engage in destructive interference at the tuner and thus
joins the forward power wave.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp