Old May 30th 04, 09:14 PM
Mike

In article ,
Strafe wrote:
So, Problem #1 - I'm having trouble sourcing a CL2020-1VC.
I'm not sure if
that 1VC means 1 volt or not because all the CL2020's I've seen say they are
3 volts

CL2020 (are you sure that's not CR2020?) would indicate a cell 2.0 mm
thick and 20mm diameter. And it would be a lithium one, and yes, 3V. I've
no idea what the -1VC is, but it's not going to be the voltage.

Can you measure (physical size) the old battery or holder to confirm this
size? It may help you source a replacement part with a totally different
number, rather than looking for CR/CL2020. Just get the right physical size
and the right voltage ...

I'll also need a sleeve for it to solder it back on the board (I
have a much better soldering iron now, maybe that will help). Getting the
battery with the sleve already would be great.

What sleeve? If it's the kind I'm thinking of, it's a button cell style. They
don't come with sleeves. If you mean some kind of metal clip that was round
the old one, then you needed to keep that part -- it's the battery holder.
Don't try and solder the button cell to wires, that's not good for the
battery.

Problem #2 - How can I test the internal NiCd? I don't understand why it's
not charging. If I need another one I will need a source for that as well.

If it's been sitting discharged for a few years, it's probably died quietly.

The advice about using the scanner now and then to keep the battery charged
wasn't entirely bull ...
Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/