Old May 23rd 04, 08:26 PM
Cecil Moore

Rich wrote:
Cecil, any chance you can take one more look-see for me with EZNEC?
How well do you think it will radiate on all the bands?

Rich, the easiest way for me to present a G5RV shorty version
is by listing the 50 ohm SWR at the ladder-line/coax junction.
The antenna is a 51 ft. center-fed dipole at 40 feet. The
series-section transmission line is Z0 = 400 ohms with a VF
of 0.9. I use Z0 = 400 because "450" ohm ladder-line is
usually closer to 400 ohms.

Freq. 50 ohm SWR for n' Length of "450" ohm line
6' 9' 12' 15' 16' 19' 40'
7.2 31 16 5.8 *2.2* 2.7 8.3 100
10.125 16 23 29 33 34 34 *1.9*
14.2 70 53 32 13 8 *1.2* 55
18.14 51 18 *1.5* 13 23 57 19
21.3 22 *1.5* 19 61 74 98 61
24.95 *1.7* 30 76 94 88 48 6
28.4 26 30 17 3.3 *2.0* 12 31

The lowest SWRs are highlighted like *n.m*. It appears
that a fixed length of about 17 ft. will be a good
performer on the harmonically related bands, 40m, 20m,
& 10m. Varying the series section length from 6' to
19' would allow covering all HF bands except 30m. A
51 ft. dipole is not a good length for 30m and requires
40' of "450" ohm line to resonate it close to 50 ohms.

IMO, any 50 ohm coax SWR above about 10:1 is unacceptable
for ordinary coax (depending on frequency).
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp