Old June 9th 04, 10:01 AM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Patty Winter wrote:
I keep hearing that "Air Force One" will be carrying Pres. Reagan's
casket between California and Washington, D.C., but it won't really
be using that callsign, will it? Won't it just be "Air Force 28000"
(or 29000)?

By definition any airplane with the president of the U.S. on board uses
the callsign "Air Force One".

The "flying office" of the president is called Air Force One, but it does not
use that callsign when the president is not in it. I assume they have real
callsigns, (there are two of them) not just 28000 and 29000.

However N28000 used to be registered to someone else.

I'm sure they have callsigns besides Air Force One that they use when they
don't want to announce their presence, Let's face it, "Bagdad tower, this
is Air Force One, 25 miles out at 10,000 feet on course 180.",
is not something they would want to say over unencrypted VHF radio.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson