Old May 23rd 04, 10:16 PM
Dave

probably because the meter is not measuring what you think it is. remember,
vswr meters are meant to be showing what the vswr is in a transmission line
of a given characteristic impedance. they are not impedance meters, nor are
they proper power meters even though they are often calibrated in watts...
they are only accurate in the specific characteristic impedance system they
were 'calibrated' for... and then only roughly in most cases. if you want
to make proper measurements give up on the vswr meter and measure the
voltage or current with an oscilloscope or properly calibrated rf voltmeter.

"Lord Snooty" wrote in message
nk.net...
Sorry everyone, but I just retested with no cable and the results I obtain

are
precisely the same. The coax cable was only 26" long anyway.
So forget about that transmission line stuff. It's irrelevant here. What I
want to know is why the VSWR indications are the way they are.

If anyone's interested, I can email a small spreadsheet that deals with

this
simple circuit (V0-R-jX-r-jx) and allows you to set
a) R,X and r, and vary x
b) R,X and x, and vary r.
I plot side by side on the two corresponding graphs
- modulus of total load voltage
- modulus of load resistor voltage
- modulus of load reactance voltage
- power dissipated in load resistor
- VSWR between source and load
- "conjugate VSWR" between source and load.

One more time with feeling -
What I want to know is why the VSWR indications are the way they are.

Best,
Andrew

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
nope, all done. reg is here and cecil can't be far behind. i've had

my
fun, time to do other more productive things than watch them re-hash
conjugal matches for the next month or two.

I guess I need to say this again. My take on discussions of conjugate
matching in ham antenna systems is that it is a waste of time. If

reflected
energy is not allowed to reach the source, e.g. typical ham Z0-matched
systems, the source impedance is irrelevant and doesn't affect anything
in the system except for efficiency.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp