Old June 21st 04, 06:30 PM
Jim

I use the Yaesu FT-7800 in my vehicle. When I am not on FM repeaters I call
listen to Fire/PD/EMS, ect.
If you need trunking or APCO 25 digital, forget the ham radio and use a
scanner.

73,

"Donald K" wrote in message
ambrose wrote:

Would it be practical to use a ham radio as a scanner?.I understand
they have channel memories,scan ability and in many cases cover the
bands of interest.The best thing is those with detachable heads that
would make mounting in a small vehicle really easy.Is anybody using
one for this purpose.

Well...

I'll give you my experiences, not with mobile rigs, but with HTs.

A scanner (Like a Pro-95) is designed as a scanner first, last and only.
The banks, bank selection, lock-out etc are all pretty easy and
straight-forward to use.

My Kenwood TH-F6a, is a tri-band VHF/UHF radio first, and a general
coverage receiver/scanner second. (It sucks as a general receiver
unless you attach an external antenna, then it is ok).

Yes, the TH-F6a has "banks" and "bank select" and "lock out" but they
are all secondary functions. Bank select is in a secondary menu. Lock
out is a two key press action, etc.

The channel scan rate is speedy enough though.

The TH-F6a scratches the itch that a scanner does (I usually don't bring
both) but it is a bit more of a pain to program and use as a scanner.

If I was going into another area and expected significant searching or
entry of new frequencies, I *would* bring both.

The short story? Unless you are a ham and are significantly going to use
a ham rig AS a ham rig, go with a scanner, you'll be happier.

My $0.02,

-Donald
--
"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,
see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable