Old July 9th 04, 02:26 PM
Mike Y

"Mediaguy500" wrote in message
I know some people who live right near airports. (almost right next to the
airports).

could them listening to scanners in their own homes interfere with the
airports' and airplanes' navigation sysyems and cause the planes to

crash?

I hope not, but it sounds to me like they can from the information given

in
this newsgroup.

Uh, think about that for a moment. A scanner can cause interference for a
few hundred feet. How far is that plane? It's the planes receiver that's
at
issue for interference, not the ground.

It's like the idiots on Long Island that protested the first Concord flights
because they were aftraid of the supersonic airliner when it landed. The
press seemed to be sympathetic to the cause, but the night before the
pilots were featured at a press conference and were asked about that.
I think it was the co-pilot that pointed out that if the Concord was
supersonic during landing, they had a lot of other issues that were probably
more of a problem.