Old May 24th 04, 06:02 AM
Reg Edwards

Default Goodness of ground Radials

We are accustomed to using the *number* of radials as a measure of the
goodness of a system of shallow-buried or surface-laid radials. But what
really matters is the resistance to Mother Earth as is effective at the
system center or off-center as the case may be.

We are familiar with associating soil resistivity data with 'goodness' of
the soil or the terrain.

Forgetting all about what the regulations may specify about commercial
transmitting stations, what are the ranges of ground electrode resistance
which amateurs consider to be excellent, good, average, poor, awful. Or
perhaps some other descriptions.

The following ranges are suggested:

Excellent : 2 ohms or less.
Good : 2 to 5 ohms.
Average : 5 to 15 ohms.
Poor : 15 to 50 ohms.
Awful : Greater than 50 ohms.

Are these in the right ball-parks? Depends on frequencies of occurrence.
What do you think?

Anyway, it makes a change from circulators and S-parameters at SHF.
----
Reg, G4FGQ