Old September 1st 04, 12:19 AM
A.Pismo Clam

If you are really interested in what EDACS, Digital, Motorola Type I &
II are, what they acronym means and how they differ, you'll have to wait
for someone in the group smarter than me... You might want to do a
"google search". I'm sure that you'll find something. The 895 XLT cannot
receive EDACS, by the way, just the Motorola I & II.

I am set up primarily for the city/county fire departments, Cal Div of
Forestry and the US Forest Service. Currently, they are either on AM or
FM. Wildfires are the bane of California & other western states, but
happen they do, every year.

BTW, I have friends who lived in Hempstead and Huntington. Me? I lived
in Newark up until 1972. Couldn't take the mosquitos any longer. Now, I
live near the desert. Big change...

stephen wrote:
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:44:32 -0700, A.Pismo Clam wrote:

Well Stephen, it matters what you are interested in monitoring...

Port Authority is EDACS, but Nassau Cnty PD is digital, however Nassau
Public safety is EDACS, but Manhattan [for the most part] is Motorola
Type II Smartnet.

Ok!

So what does this mean?

Remember you are dealing with a complete newbie although I am an EE for
all that's worth these days

If you want to listen to the "whole enchilada", you might be better
served getting one of the Uniden digital units, or one of the Radio
Shack's Pro-96.

Sounds like that is the way I should go.

If however, you live in the "...Hamptons", you can probably afford to
buy one scanner to receive each type of transmission... ;-

Ha! Ha!

Yea I live in the Hamptons but I am a year long resident, not one of the
summer city folk.
We are the forgotten *poor* who keep the town running during the winter
months when Puff Daddy isn't here.

IOW I work for a living and pay my taxes!!!

Here are the Uniden/Radio Shack Yahoo! group for their

digital units:

Have fun and let us know how you've make out...

Thank you very much!!!!
Stephen

--
MZ