Old September 1st 04, 04:34 AM
Bruce Markowitz

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FALSE INFO

Nassau PD is UHF 477 Mhz
NYC is UHF 470 Mhz
Suffolk is trunked Moto Type 2 NOT NOT digital
I don't know what will happen in the future, but for now the PRO-95 is a
FINE choice for Suffolk. TT's Suffolk just fine, from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.
If you can find a PRO-2053, that is the base version, works very well also

"A.Pismo Clam" wrote in message
Well Stephen, it matters what you are interested in monitoring...

Port Authority is EDACS, but Nassau Cnty PD is digital, however Nassau
Public safety is EDACS, but Manhattan [for the most part] is Motorola
Type II Smartnet.

Here on the west coast, I went for the Pro-95 because the county next to
me is EDACS. I also have a BC 895XLT that handles the Motorola Type II
in my own community. Agreed, there is a lot to listen to out there!

If you want to listen to the "whole enchilada", you might be better
served getting one of the Uniden digital units, or one of the Radio
Shack's Pro-96.

If however, you live in the "...Hamptons", you can probably afford to
buy one scanner to receive each type of transmission... ;-

Here are the Uniden/Radio Shack Yahoo! group for their digital units:

Have fun and let us know how you've make out...

stephen wrote:
I'm new to scanners and would like a reasonably priced unit to listen to
local police, fire, Coast Guard and so forth.
I am located on Eastern Long Island N.Y. as a reference point.

I was initially interested in a base unit, but the portables are

starting
to look like a better choice for obvious reasons.

I've read that RS scanners need to go back to the Shack for software
upgrades?

Will the Pro95 do digital?

What are the bad points of this particular model?

Any other models I might want to look at in the same price range?

Sorry for all the questions but I have been surfing, including the yahoo
Pro95 group which seems very nice.

Tia

--
MZ