Old September 3rd 04, 03:35 AM
Russ

First of all, there are only three kinds of people to a cop. Cops,
cop's families and suspects. Second, never ask a cop about the law.
They don't know dick about it. If they did, they'd be lawyers.

Russ

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:09:17 -0700, "Larry Splane"
wrote:

Ham operators are legally able to carry scanners as a part of their
"licensed obligation" to carry and forward emergency information to the
general public. Joe blow is generally frowned on about having a scanner
because the police immediately suspect that you would only need the use of
the scanner to evade the police in the commision of a crime. Or something to
that effect.
You should check with your local smokey to be sure.

Larry

"'Captain' Kirk DeHaan" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:54:24 GMT, Sandy Hoff
wrote:

Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller here.
I have a question.
Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?
I have no interest in monitoring the police.
I have the scanner in case TSHTF and I need to hear what's going on.
Wind direction and weather from KEC83, local radio, instructions. That
sort of thing.
I live in Maryland and work in Baltimore City.

I Googled but didn't come up with much.
Maybe a good site recommendation?

Thank you guys. Great NGs, very informative.

Sandy.

I believe licensed HAM's can carry a scanner even in areas where local
laws prohibit the practice. Check with your local police.

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly