Old September 6th 04, 02:37 PM
Buzzygirl

wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 23:38:34 GMT, "Buzzygirl"

Is this a legal definition? I would expect that a scanner
would have to have the capability of automatically "scanning" a number
of frequencies.

Here is the text of the Minnesota statute... you will see it says nothing
about "scanning" frequencies. A "scanner" here is defined as a device which
can receive police frequencies:

"299C.37 Police communication equipment; use, sale. Subdivision 1. Use
regulated. (a) No person other
than peace officers within the state, the members of the State Patrol, and
persons who hold an amateur radio license issued by the Federal
Communications Commission, shall equip any motor vehicle with any radio
equipment or combination of equipment, capable of receiving any radio
signal, message, or information from any police emergency frequency, or
install, use, or possess the equipment in a motor vehicle without permission
from the superintendent of the bureau upon a form prescribed by the
superintendent."

Not that this would dissuade the kind of cop who takes your
carrying such documentation as a personal challenge to his authority.

I would bring it up to a judge in traffic court and lodge a formal complaint
with the PD, if it had to go that far.

Jackie