Old September 10th 04, 05:45 PM
BDK

In article ,
says...
BDK wrote:

In article ers.com,
says...
I need some help choosing an antenna for my
base station police scanner.
any suggestion (pros or cons) would be appreciated

This is what you want. Will blow away about any other omni antenna
out
there. Light years ahead of a discone.

http://users.cis.net/kingpop/Scanner/Scantenna.htm

Is there any analysis of this antenna on the web that I might look at?

-Donald

It's just a heavy duty version of a Scantenna, AKA Monitenna, that RS
and I think it was Channel Master sold for years. I have two of them in
the box ready to go. The original is a flimsy antenna that works great.
They just don't hold up in the winter at all. I had a discone on my
tower until recently when the standoff broke in a storm. The
Scantenna/Monitenna in my attic was better on every freq, and it was 30
feet lower. A ground plane made with an SO-239 connector and some coat
hangers will blow a discone away. A total waste of money, unless you
want it as a back up antenna to transmit on....

BDK