Old September 19th 04, 07:52 PM
Charles D. Mandus

I mainly lurk but I'm an avid radio nut and have a ham radio license. One
thing that drives me nuts with cellphone usage is when somebody is in the
store at the cash register to checkout and they keep on talking as they are
checking out. I work at a photolab in a drugstore and I had to ask for the
name of the customer to give him his film and he was talking on the
cellphone all the time. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I think that is so
rude. At least say to your friend on the phone, "hold on for a minute" or
"I'll have to call you back." I admit there are times I wish cellphones
were never invented, heck if I was like "Cancerman" from "The X-Files," if I
had as much power as he, I'd figure a way to suppress cellphones. I know
there is a good side to them as well and even have one myself so I guess
some would say that is a bit hypocritical which I'll grant them that but
even so, there are times I wish they were never invented. Oh well....

Chuck

DE KA3WRW

"Buzzygirl" wrote in message

"Paul Keenleyside" wrote in message

"What's that thing?" "It's called a telephone."
"Does it take a picture?" "No".
"Ring tones?" "You can beep off Mary Had a Little Lamb on it"
"Email?" "You use your computer for that"
"Call Waiting?" "Sure. Sit in the chair and wait for it to ring".

ROTFL. My son's in high school, and most of his friends have a cell phone.
He doesn't have one, and he hasn't asked me for one, because he knows what

will say. I remember when I was his age, my friends and I would serenade

one
another with "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and other songs via the touch-tone
buttons. We thought we were so clever. :-)

The main thing that really irritates me about cell phones is this. When

I'm
on the highway and happen to glance over at an adjacent driver, I would
conservatively estimate that 75% of the time, he/she is yakking on their
cell phone when they are supposed to be driving. Just another way of

taking
people's attention off the road -- like we all need that.

I cannot even think about paying what these cell service providers ask for
their monthly plans without laughing. I still use public payphones on very
rare occasions, but that is generally only if I am delayed and need to

call
someone to let them know I will be late. Nevertheless, I won't completely
lambast cell phone usage for everyone. I suppose if you travel a lot or

own
your own business and you're out on the road a lot, they are a godsend.

But
I rarely use my home phone! I just can't justify the extra expense of a

cell
phone.

Jackie