Old May 25th 04, 06:39 AM
Reg Edwards

Hi Reg, I just went outside and measured the impedance of my 8' mobile
antenna. It's center loaded with a high Q loading coil and small

capacity hat.
It is mounted on a full size pick-up truck. At 7.2 MHZ it reads 37+j0

ohms.
The antenna analyzer has always been accurate within a few percent. Does

this
mean that my truck provides an "excellent ground" at 7.2MHZ? If it does,

need to use my truck for an rf ground for the rig inside my house. It may

be
that the truck does indeed provide a good ground, I get good results on

40M
mobile.

73 Gary N4AST

====================================

Gary, if your coil-loaded 8-feet vertical had been mounted above a ground
radial system then the radial system would have to be classified as "poor".

Radiation resistance is about 4 ohms for a height of 8 feet at 7.2 MHz.
Coil loss = 3 ohms. Subtract 4+3 from your measured 36 ohms which leaves 29
ohms for the ground loss resistance. Which is a poor value for a radial
system. But it may not be poor for your particular vehicle-mounted system
because the vehicle itself forms a large physical part of the antenna and so
increases radiation resistance.

( The vehicle plus whip behaves as a short, off-centre fed, half-wave
resonant vertical, there being fewer ground losses to worry about.)

But the calculating procedure is the same for all vertical ground-mounted
antennas. Subtract calculated radiation resistance from measured input
resistance to obtain ground loss resistance. If there's a loading coil,
subtract its loss resistance too.
Also subtract something for wire-loss of a long wire.
---
Reg, G4FGQ