Old October 24th 04, 04:45 PM
OH YEAH

wrote in message
news:Pine.SUN.3.96.1041023195901.23601A-100000@nyx...
Folks,

At a `moving sale' I got a vintage (ca.1977) Regency scanner,
Model ACT-T16K.

From the net I learned it covers: 30-50, 146-174, 440-512Mhz.

Why it doesn't normally cover the bottom of the 2-meter amateur band
starting at 144Mhz is beyond me. However, according to the below
instructions found elsewhere on the net, it can be programed
out-of-band by pressing `9' and 'CL'.

Indeed, I was able to program in 145.49, and 53.05Mhz in the
2 & 6 meter bands.

Does anyone know, or remember anything else about this scanner?
...like how far `out-of-band' can it be programmed to go?

any info, schematics, or mod sources would be appreciated.

It's a cool old scanner with its 16 blinking red diodes.

Apparently cost $350.00 when new in 1977 . . .

Bill

REGENCY ACT-T16K Scanner (16 channels)

to program channels:

1. press PR then press the channel button
2. enter the freq. on the keypad
3. press the same channel button again
4. press SC to scan
5. press MA for manual then press the channel button
of the channel you want to listen to

to program search:

1. press SP
2. enter freq of lower limit on keyboard
3. press ch1 button
4. press ch2 button
5. enter freq of upper limit
6. press ch2 button again
7. press SS to start searching

To enable the weather alert featu

1. program a freq of NOAA in ch16
2. press 2 and the decimal point
3. to stop the weather alert press 2 and CL(clear)

to enable ch1 priority press 1 and the decimal point

to disable the priority feature press 1 and CL

to enable out of band programming press 9 and clear while scanning

If memory serves me correct, the Bearcat 210 wouldn't cover some segments of
bands either and had to be tricked in a similar fashion. I believe a few
frequencies had to be listened to by using "image" frequencies..... Adding
or subtracting the I.F. from the intended frequency or some similar scheme.
Some of those scanners were neat even if they didn't do all. The crappiest
one IMHO that I seen, was one that used cards similar to computer punch
cards - if I recall correctly. An elderly lady wanted a scanner, she bought
one of those - suggested by the sales person. I seen it when she called me
to "program" it. I told her to take it back and get a "real" scanner and
suggested the BC 250. Her sister who did the original purchase and exchange
for her, took the unit back and got a BC 250. That lady loved it until the
day she died. That was her connection to the world, aside from the TV -
radio and phone, being wheel chair bound and not able to get out much. The
one scanner I seen which was neat but for some reason I never took a real
liking to, was the Bearcat 101. I think it too had some programming tricks
to it. Someone who "actually" owned one can clarify that.

I'm not much of a collector of radios - not enough room and don't want to
tie up cash. What I do - is if I see pics of old radios, scanners, etc, cut
them out and scrap book them. Just looking at the pics can take you back.

TRM