Old October 26th 04, 04:48 AM
Vic Canova

Evan Platt wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:19:47 -0400, JR JR wrote:

Every digital phone has an analog mode, for when the digital signal is
not available. So, yes.

No, not every digital phone has an analog mode. As a matter of fact,
less and less of the newer (Verizon at least) phones have analog, and
maybe half of the older phones have analog.

I can count on my hand the number of times in the past year my phone
switched to Analog.

Evan

Hey, it amazes me too gents.

That's what I meant about the qualities of this rather
ordinary radio. I don't know why my BC80 receives cell
signals in the 900 meter range, but it yanks them in
like it was designed to do it.

I used to have a Fairmate that would catch 800 MHz
traffic in the 700 meter range, so I'm not surprised by
the phenomenon. They're obviously mirror signals of
frequencies found in other bands, but don't ask me to
explain it, or why one scanner does it and one doesn't.

I'm just pleased to have an FCC-defiant scanner while
there's still plenty of analog eavesdropping to do!

Incidentally, I found the in-house frequency used by a
mall security team. It's a huge one about 10 miles up
the road, and it turns out that every day life in a
200-store environment offers some of the most
intriguing scanner drama I've ever encountered.