Old November 3rd 04, 06:58 PM
Iden

"paul churchill" wrote:

So after all that is someone out there going to
answer the original question which was basically
(Is the scanmaster airband discone that nevada sell
worth it's price tag) rgds all from M3PAC....

Being an antenna nut and regular listener to aircraft
communications, I, too, would like to know.

I presume you mean this antenna:
http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/acatalo...airmaster.html

It is sort of a bi-cone antenna and sort of
a "dipole cluster" antenna.

The same basic idea (dipole cluster) is used in the
Antennacraft Scantenna ST-2:
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT7.html
but this one is not optimized for the aircraft bands.

The discontinued Channel Master 5094A Monitenna
is much the same and has proved to be a good
monitor antenna for me for the "public service"
bands. It, too, is not optimized for the aircraft bands

The Scanmaster Airmaster should work pretty
well just by looking at it but one never knows until
they are in place and operating.

I created and moderate and aircraft listener's group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AirCommSouthwest/
of nearly 600 members and I posted an inquiry
about the Scanmaster Airmaster but apparently
no one has had experience with one, though the
inquiry did start and aircraft monitoring antenna
thread.

One problem in the U.S. is that no one seems to
sell the Airmaster, at least, I can't find a retailer.
One may be able to buy them from the U.K.
though.

I did buy a so called "Double Discone" (bi-cone)
on eBay and have yet to try it but it looks like
one could make and Airmaster out of it by
cutting the elements. It would be nice to have
the element dimensions from the Airmaster.

Here is a description of the "Double Discone:"
http://www.radio-ware.com/products/ant426.htm

Here is another option:
http://www.ssejim.co.uk/vhfairbandant.htm
http://www.ssejim.co.uk/uhfairbandant.htm
http://www.ssejim.co.uk/dip2002abeu.htm

I did buy the last item from the U.K. and it seems
to work well. I have separate antennas for
VHF and UHF aircraft and then combine them
into a single coax feed.

Another option to combine VHF and UHF aircraft
antennas would be the CF-142:
http://www.cometantenna.com/products...=23&childID=44

Iden - Northern California