Old November 29th 04, 03:45 PM
Ralph Mowery

"Chairboy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi guys,

I've got a computer in my car and I'd like to do a little AWACS style
signal mapping. I bought a BC245XLT because of the serial interface
and the protocol.

My plan is to build a simple circuit to control a directional antenna
with a servo or stepper motor and write a program to rotate it while
constantly querying the radio for signal strength & frequency while the
scanner is flipping through channels. My program will know which
direction the antenna is pointing plus absolute direction (using an I2C
digital compass), so I should be able to build a circular color display
showing which transmitter sources are in which direction.

Right now, I'm learning about what kind of antenna connectors can let
me do what I need. If the antenna will rotate 360, I'm figuring I'll
need a slip ring based on what I've read online. I understand that
antenna rotors do a lot of what I want already, and maybe that's the
way to go, but I enjoy building things myself wherever possible.

Can anyone with more experience give me some insight into which
direction to go? If I can live without 360 scanning, I could rotate
the antenna back and forth with a normal cable, but I'm all ears if
anyone has any thoughts.

Instead of a mechanical rotator system you need to look at the electronic
rotating systems. There is a design out that takes 4 antennas and
electronically rotates them and gives a direction.