Old May 26th 04, 10:18 PM
Greg Doughty

Default rock mite 20 qrp random wire ?

Hello to all. I continue to return here as antenna's are the hardest thing to
figure out. We can end the cw argument by testing antenna knowledge hi hi!
Anyways, I have a rock mite 20m qrp that I built and am giving it a go with a
random wire hooked to an mfj 901b tuner. I am using 22 gauge stranded at about
16 feet. The tuner has a ground wire as well. Here is the trick . . . I have
a buzz in the headphones only at certain times. I can move the headphone wire
around and it changes the tone and amplitude of the buzz. In fact it sometimes
goes away all together. However, when I put my hand on the final in the
altoids can, it also lessons it as well as when I put my hand on the can. It
sounds like a ground problem but not sure how to fix it. I tried different
grounds but to no avail. Another problem I am having is the swr meter I have
will not do less than 5 watts(RS) so I am trying to wing it with the tuner and
try to get the highest noise level. Once again though, if I turn the
inductance past d/e I get the hum again. Also if I turn up the antenna
adjustment, the buzz gets worse. I know this is a long one, but I am hoping
someone can help me out.

73
73
Greg