Old December 20th 04, 08:06 PM
Ringo Langly

Evan Platt wrote:
On 20 Dec 2004 06:47:18 -0800, "Ringo Langly"
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm shopping for a scanner for Christmas to give to my brother.

He's
in the local volunteer fire department, and though he carries a

smaller
hand-held scanner provided by the department I'd love to get him
something larger and something with more features.

I checked http://www.cityfreq.com/ and it shows my brother's VFD
frequency is 154.22 so I need something that'll hit that plus

hopefully
the other area departments plus city, county, and state police
departments if possible. I know next to nothing about scanners, so

I'm
not even sure if this is possible now'days. I'm looking at the

Radio
Shack PRO-2018 scanner, and according to the specs it will do my
brothers' VFD's frequency. Any pros or cons to this one or any
suggestions on another model? Here's a link via tinyurl -
http://tinyurl.com/3kste

Thanks for comments or suggestions.

Might help to tell us what STATE he's in so to make a proper
suggestion - i.e. he may need trunked, or may not.

Evan

Hi Evan,

Just a follow-up. I went to Radio Shack today during lunch and bought
the PRO-2018 scanner. I did lots of research on newsgroups and other
sites, and all had positive feedback on this little scanner. It
doens't do digital, but my brother can take this back and exchange it
for a digital model if he wants that feature. They started at around
$160 or so.

I can always take it back if someone else has other ideas, but with
Christmas being a week away I didn't want to wait too long.
Thanks for any feedback or comments.

Ringo