Old December 21st 04, 03:53 PM
Bob Parnass

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:30:21 -0500, Michael J. wrote:

greets all,

I've been reading all the reviews I can find on the Alinco DJ-X2000 in an attempt to
find out what this radio's all about before either spending good or bad money.

Thus far, the two best reviews I've found (and maybe the only reviews) are he

http://www.strongsignals.net/access/...recv&num= 039

and

http://www.ukmidlandscanner.co.uk/djx2krev.htm

First things first:

The place I plan on ordering my unit from is www.Radio-Export.com, with a price
tag of $610.00 This is the "export" version ("E" model) with no blocked bands.

From The Reviews:

Perhaps most importantly, it seems as though the "early" models of the X2000 had
an unnecessary and annoying amount of audio noise (described as a light hissing sound),
but I'm gathering that this is a problem that has been fixed (or at least diminished to a degree)
in later models. Good quality of received audio is a must for me, as so much of transmitting equipment
has enough noise in it already, as most of us know. In this case, it's even doubly important
that the audio be as clear as possible. Perhaps someone who owns an X2000 could give me some
more info regarding this?

Another somewhat daunting prospect was the way the effectiveness of the "Flash Tune" was
described. A quote from the second review regarding the flash tune featu

"Although this feature does not appear to work that well, hats off to Alinco for incorporating it,
other manufacturers (Or Alinco themselves ) should maybe concentrate on perfecting this feature
in later models. NOTE: I have spoken to another user of the DJX-2000 and he swears by it, he
admits that he does sometimes get the false readings but that for him the flash tune works almost
every time."

I reviewed the DJ-X2000T (USA version) in June 2001 Monitoring Times.

I had fun with the limited range Flash Tune feature, but found
some drawbacks in the scanner I tested:

An annoying audio hiss was present even on the strongest of signals.
The 110 millisecond squelch tail noise at the end of each transmission
was too long and grew tough to listen to.

I measured the practical memory scan rate at a very slow 3 channels/second.

The DJ-X2000T is noew a few years old. Have you considered the newer
ICOM IC-R20? I reviewed one in November 2004 Monitoring Times.
The IC-R20 I tested required a better antenna for SW reception
below 30 MHz than the DJ-X2000T, but the IC-R20's scans memory at
16 channels/second and its feature set beats
the older DJ-X2000 in several areas.

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com