Old December 29th 04, 07:28 AM
Allan9

First off where are you?
Have you checked for the correct frequencies.
Transmissions are going to be line of sight. Chances are you are hearing
aircraft airborne rather than on the ground. I live appx 1 mile from our
airport and cannot hear the taxiing aircraft most of the time. I hear the
controllers most all the time.
You could also be hearing high altitude traffic talking to the enroute
facilities (Centers).

Al

"Insert66" wrote in message

I would like to intercept the local airport frequencies
I tried a pro-82 with its default antenna and got little more than the
aircraft, .. no ATC . I returned the radio

I am now trying to decide if i should buy a better radio
and an add on / larger antenna

Or should i accept that local buildings are
going to make it impossible. I am 10 to 12 nm
from the airport. but have other buildings around me
Im on the 12th floor and have a balcony

would a discone do it?
is a base unit more sensitive than a hand held?

is the pro 82 considered sensitive?

what is the ideal antenna length for 108 - 136 MHZ ?

is it better to but aviation hand helds, as they may be
made for these frequencies?

would simply a taller antenna have made a difference with
the pro 82? It was simple enough to use

TIA for any replies