Old January 13th 05, 10:59 PM
Bill Crocker

I don't know if I can give you an unbiased opinion, as I currently have a
Icom R5 for sale!

Both the Icom R5, and the Yaesu VR120D, are excellent radios. My R5 is
unblocked. I'm not familiar with the 120D's gaps, other than cellular.

I don't think the scan rate of the R5 is slow at all. Most all the Icom's,
Yaesu's, Alinco's, etc, scan slower than Radio Shack's /GRE, and Uniden
Bearcats. But I personally do not think it presents a listening problem.
You wouldn't want to try an scan 100 channels, as it would take awhile to
make the rounds!

Click here, and compare the specs on the two:
http://universal-radio.com/catalog/widerxvr.html

Bill Crocker

"Charlie Chan" wrote in message
Bill,

Thanks again for the earlier response on the Pro 82.

The plot just thickened for me (much to my delight):

Your opinion please:

Icom R-5 or Yaesu VR120D

The Yaesu has a bunch of small frequency gaps, but many complain of the
slow scan rate of the R-5. Which of the two would you suggest?

Thank you for your reply.

Much Respect,

Charlie Chan