Old May 27th 04, 04:59 PM
Cecil Moore

Steve Nosko wrote:
From this I infer that Cecil believes that once the transient portion of
the response has concluded you are in the steady state and no more
reflections are occurring. Is this a correct re-statement of your belief,

No, no, no. That is a re-statement of the other side of the argument
from mine. I often use devil's-advocate type arguments.

The definition of steady-state by the other side is pure unvarying
sine waves with no noise and no modulation. Then the reflections
sorta disappear into a steady-state mush of standing waves. A
modulated TV signal, according to their argument, is not a steady-
state signal. Within this steady-state mush of standing waves, energy
never makes it from the load back to the match point. Apparently,
because of the uncertainty principle, reflected energy doesn't
actually exist anywhere until it is radiated or dissipated, i.e.
its probability wave collapses.

I have challenged them to produce a standing wave without a rearward-
traveling wave but nobody has been up to that challenge.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp