Old January 18th 05, 12:12 AM
DougSlug

Newer scanners cannot be modified, but many others can be modified to
receive the cellular band. It is also possible to buy an unblocked model of
just about any scanner that is intended for international sale by ordering
it from another country (www.bander.com is one such source). This is, of
course, illegal, but still quite possible.

Older scanners may be able to receive cell images on frequencies that are
+/- 21.4 MHz (2 times the IF) away from the cell frequencies. This is
usually more difficult with triple conversion scanners.

Not all cell phones are digital (yet). Somewhere I read that the OnStar
system utilizes analog transmissions...this may depend on the area. There
is always some analog activity in the cell bands, but it tends to be quite
uninteresting, and in many cases, only one side of the conversation can be
heard (this, too, depends on the area). Most cell phone activity is
digital, however, and it will continue to go in that direction. Eventually,
blocking a scanner will have no purpose.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can you receive cellular phone calls on a modified scanner? I thought
with all phone being digital now you could not?