Old July 4th 03, 02:14 PM
Eric F. Richards

"rjohnson" wrote:

Bottom line is if you want a radio that does 'all' you would be hard pressed
to find a better radio than the AR5000 ,sure a 'Decent' dedicated HF rig
will out preform the 5000 but if you just want to hear whats going on and
not out after ther most weakest ,cleanest signal on HF and combined with DC
to Daylight features then the 5000 is a beauty and does it all really well.

Rick.

I'd counter with the ICOM R-8500. Its sole weakness is the filters.
On all other counts -- stability, sensitivity, flexibility, ultimate
rejection, ease of use, etc -- I think it's a superior radio.

However, if one were to go with separates, and one didn't need
trunking or digital capability, the ICOM would be the V/U/SHF radio of
choice for me. I have 8 HF radios ranging from the R-75 to the
Ten-Tec RX-340 and the '8500 is a very good radio.

....as for its filters, well, external audio DSP is helpful there.

Eric

--
Eric F. Richards

"The weird part is that I can feel productive even when I'm doomed."
- Dilbert