Old July 5th 03, 01:43 PM
The Dawn Soliloquy

Looks like an awesome store. Why do the other cities get all the fun? I live
in Pittsburgh, there is nothing here (that I know of) other than NASCAR
stores, sports stores, hobby stores, nothing specializing in electronics. We
had a telescope store once, that lasted a couple of years, and for electronics
we had Olson's, now that was interesting. I bought a Ferguson FM only receiver
there years ago, the receiver is make in England. It is interesting, the
schematic (sha matic for those in England, like shedule for schedule ;-) gives
the voltages across components (like resistors) rather than to ground. The
radio itself has many discrete transistors, some with a lead lifted into the
air and soldered to a resistor. It's worked great for the last 30 years,
sporting a whopping 12 watts of power (per channel), and they were wont to
list the Peak power as well, IPP, at 100 watts. The radio has some kick ass
capacitors in it (they look like motor starting capacitors), you can turn the
radio on to a moderate level, grab the power plug, yank it from the wall, and
the radio plays on for about 5 seconds without loss in volume.

Anyway, I digress, the closest significant store to my location, to my
knowledge at least, is AES in Cleveland, which I have yet to visit but have
ordered various items from. There is no substitute for being able to walk into
a store and actually touch and utilize and item before use. Unfortunately, the
way this city is going, we're more likely to get a fashion store for gang
clothing than we are to get something as interesting as Toronto Surplus and
Scientific.

http://www.torontosurplus.com/

An interesting link on Techsun radios if you can read Russian.
http://www.spin.com.ru/tecsun.shtml

http://www.radiointel.com/index.htm
http://www.radiointel.com/review-rev...sunr9700dx.htm

Of the Techsun model R-9700DX
"Synchronous tuning is used in the dual conversion in shortwave, thus greatly
enhancing the selectivity of the radio when listening to shortwave
frequencies."

In article , Gregg
wrote:
Behold, Steve Cohen scribbled:

I just read on their site, Toronto Surplus and Scientific has a rig that
receives from 200KHz to 10.6GHz. I think it was around $2K USD though. DC
to daylight for ya?

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum: -There's no arguing about matters of taste.
Multum in parvo: - Much in little (small but significant)
Sine qua non: -Indispensible part
Non sequitur: -It does not follow
Cogito ergo sum: - I think therefore I am.
Nota bene: - Note well
Tabula rasa: - Clean slate