Old July 5th 03, 03:32 PM
Sanjaya

Default Sangean ATS-505P vs. YB-400PE...

"rtc" wrote...
Hello,
Grove has both on sale and would appreciate
it if any of you who have used them would
comment on your preference.
Main concern is build quality-the YB has a QC
"problem",while some say the 505 feels "cheap".
Thanks in advance for your time.

I have both (with the Sangean as a Radio Shack DX-402)
The YB400 has better SSB and is my favorite of all my radios.
The DX-402 is sensitive off the whip and I rarely use my portable
antenna with it. SSB is not so good on the 402/505
If I had to choose I would take a YB400. They both have good MW
DX for my needs... I can hear MW stations 1000+ miles with either of them late
at night... expecially in winter.
That isn't much help I guess, but others here will add to what I've said
and make it more clear. I'd be willing to bet they also say get the
YB400... but if you can get the Sangean *dirt cheap* (look for RS DX-402
on eBay maybe) and don't care
that much about SSB it is a very functional radio, and as I said
mine is great using only the built in telescoping antenna for SW.
YB400 if the prices are close or the Sangean is more expensive