Old May 28th 04, 08:49 AM
Bruno

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, no, I'm not in Connecticut.

I believe the radio that I have is "rated" at 5 watts but
automatically cuts back to 2 watts when used on any of the "dot" MURS
frequencies for which no license is required as long as there is no
interference to licensed stations.

For appearance reasons the ONLY antenna that I can have on the car is
the spring/ball whip. There won't even be an AM band antenna on the
car. CB radios are out for a number of reasons. For one the 108" CB
whip is just as incorrect as the 18" whip. Plus I already have the
MURS radios- a mobile and handheld and my need is only to coordinate
legitimate communications with other existing MURS units at events. I
have a handheld that I can use but a mobile unit would just be easier
and safer to use while moving.

I know that antennas can be "electrically lengthened" with coils, is
there no way to "electrically shorten" them perhaps with some sort of
matching transformer?

Bruno

Hi Bruno,

MURS allows only 2W effective radiated power, not 5W going to an
antenna. Further, this is into a simple antenna. Yeah, I know,
yours seems to be a simple one, however as long as it is (5-7 feet
high), it is both a poor match (almost no power out), and would have
gain (a power multiplying factor) if you did match it (making it more
powerful, hence the term "effective" radiated power). Even more
unfortunate is that this gain (and most sensitivity for receiving)
would be up into the sky! This is like drawing three cards to an
inside straight: antenna too long, poor match, deaf too.

Now, this sounds like a lot of contradictions I am sure. The simplest
antenna would be roughly 18 inches tall. Use the AM radio antenna for
that, use a legal transmitter, and put up your buggy whip to impress
the buddies. As an alternative, the antenna length you are describing
is quite close to those used in the CB bands which would work just as
well, if not better (as long as who you talk to use the same bands).

By the way, are you located near Norwalk Connecticut?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC