Old May 28th 04, 11:15 AM
Ian White, G3SEK

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
I'm probably not the only one that is getting an adequate fill of
facts, opinions and quotes. I have only one request. Does anyone have
verifiable and repeatable evidence that a properly tuned pi network
final amplifier without a tuner does or does not dissipate power when
there are reflections? If they do can they please direct us to the
source or give us an easliy
understandable write up.

Sorry, Hank, I don't believe you can hope for that.

In all innocence, you have rigged the question so that it only allows
certain kinds of answers. It has to be a pi network. It has to be
"properly" tuned. There have to be reflections.

The question is tied up so tight by its built-in assumptions - the
things you believe you already know - that there may not even *be* a
correct answer.

Time after time, this same discussion about "reflected power" fails to
reach any agreed answer. Time after time, we run the same maze like lab
rats... only more predictably... and every time, we fail to reach the
goal of a clear, agreed understanding.

And the conclusion of these experiments? That the concept of "reflected
power" is not helping us to understand anything.

The irony is that nobody actually *needs* that concept, so you don't
ever *need* to enter that maze. Everything about standing waves on
transmission lines can be understood much more clearly by thinking only
about forward and reflected voltage/current waves.

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek