Old July 7th 03, 03:33 PM
Maximo Lachman

Gregg ) writes:
Behold, Radium scribbled:
Can they tolerate a higher range of musical pitches than the medium-wave
and long-wave stations?

Only because they are less crowded.

The LW broadcast band is quite narrow, but I don't see why a low-power LW
station couldn't also broadcast in stereo, just as they do for MW. Sure
would be more user-friendly than IBOC.

I haven't found a reason not to have an AM station with a frequency as
high as that of the average FM station.

Here's one for you - who could receive it?

Anybody w/an ICOM, Ten-Tec, etc.

I do understand that the average FM station needs a higher frequency
than the average AM station because FM needs more bandwidth.

That was true when dinosaurs roamed the earth and the FM band was created.

It was true since there was no method of digitally transmitting FM. That
does not need more bandwidth. You should be able to get quite a good narrow-
-band FM signal into a 10kHz channel using digital transmitters esp. since
it should be easier to do so at lower frequencies w/out creating artefacts.
So to turn your question around: why not have frequency-modulated mediumwave
mono stations? Static is eliminated, as well as the need for linear power
amplifiers, which are less efficient than class C. And most AM receivers can
use slope detection to demodulate the signal somewhat. FM also has a higher
capture ratio, which would result in less interference at night.