Old July 10th 03, 12:18 AM
The Dawn Soliloquy

Just a guess, remove the batteries and look at the contacts. You (or someone
familiar with the radio) may need to remove the back of the radio to gain
access to one of the contacts. One (or both) of the contacts may be corroded,
or the unaccessible contact (with the back on) may not be exerting enough
pressure on the batteries to keep them firmly mated electrically.

Below, from http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc58/58674.htm
also suggests that the use of an AC to DC adapter disconnects the internal
batteries. Even if you haven't used an adapter (you might wish to try to see
if it works this way) the contacts on the jack may be intermittent, remove the
batteries, and use something to exercise the contact where the adapter plugs
into the radio. I just used a plastic ball point pen refill (with the level of
ink well below the end) and inserted this into the power receptacle. The radio
shut off. This proves that the jack uses a mechanical rather than an
electrical switching scheme. Do this several times or more.

"You must use a power source that supplies 3V DC and delivers at least 300 mA.
Its center tip must be set to positive and its plug must fit the receiver's
DC 3V jack. Using an adapter that does not meet these specifications could
damage the receiver or the adapter.

Always connect the DC adapter to the receiver before you connect it to the
power source. When you finish, disconnect the adapter from the power source
before you disconnect it from the receiver.

If you disconnect power from the receiver for about 30 seconds, all
information stored in memory will be lost. However, if you disconnect the DC
adapter plug from the receiver's DC 3V jack and have batteries installed, the
memory stays intact."

Let us know if you're successful.

Regards.

In article ,
(T) wrote:
The batteries went dead on my 396, and since I changed them, the thing
acts haunted. I've tried 3 different sets of c cells, no difference.
The radio keeps shutting itself off, and then flashing the 12:00. It
will not keep stored pre-sets or remember the time. When I replace the
batteries, sometimes I get the LOCK on the top right of the screen.
But only sometimes.

I've tried and tried to reset the alarm or the sleep setting, but no
avail. I've left the thing w/o batteries in it for days, no change.
I'ved moved the lock switch every which way in every possible
combination. Any ideas, anyone?

Never say never.
Nothing is absolute.