Old May 28th 04, 04:14 PM
Jerry Martes

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message

"Ian White, G3SEK" wrote
And the conclusion of these experiments? That the concept of "reflected
power" is not helping us to understand anything.

============================

I've been saying for years, the so-called SWR-meter is itself the root of
the trouble - it has forward and reflected power scales on it. So it is
impossible to refer to it without becoming emotionally involved with the
highly misleading reflected power notion.

Furthermore, the confounded thing doesn't even measure SWR. How can it
measure SWR on a transmission line which does not exist?

It is a ridiculous, meaningless situation. People drag themseves off to

UHF
to air their knowledge about such things as echos, S-parameters,

circulators
and high power TV transmitters. Quite irrelevant to the notion of

reflected
power at 1.8 MHz.

All that's necessary is to erase the meter scales, or at least wash them
from our minds, and change the name of the SWR meter to the TLI.
(Transmitter Loading Indicator). Or some other more appropriate name.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Reg

Just so I can get my thinking straight -- Does a slotted line measure
VSWR?

Jerry