Old July 14th 03, 02:51 PM
Doughnutz & Coffee

"Mike Polinske" wrote in message
m...
Has anyone heard of the Borg Johnson Radio?

A curious historic note about Borg-Johnson Electronics from the late 50's:

http://www.usps.com/judicial/1958deci/1-10.htm

I got an offer in the mail that was offering it free with a 10 day
trial oT a "nutritional supplement". The mailing says the radio is a
$79 value, but I can't find any information on the radio. If it were
legit, I'd expect to see more information about the radio.

This sounds like the classic "..and if you act now, we'll also
include" routine that was was perfected by the early masters
of the art of direct sales. Actually a facinating history that makes
for quite good reading!

See: http://www.sjplfilms.com/

I often wonder if there were any ever psychological
studies done on the draw of this uniquely American
sales institution?

See also:

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/...02/june/ronco/

The picture of the radio shows a 12 band FM/TV/MW/SW1-9 radio with a
model number of HS-912R.

Sounds like a marketing company someplace has purchased the
B-J name and is now importing more chinese made radios.

They've done the same of late with Emerson and Philco.
I saw a "modern" Philco (chinese made) on the HSN just
yesterday.

HSN and similar networks are the modern evolution of the
classic pitch-men of the 60's and 70's. (the Grand Master
of the art being the great Ron Popeil of RonCo fame)

http://shop.ronco.com/ (now online!!)

If you want more info, email me and I'll send you the technical
specifications as well as a link to see a picture of the radio.

I'd rather be sure the radio is genuine and works as advertised than
get it and be disappointed.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Polinske
Milwaukee, WI

"....and if you act now, I'll include a matched pair of 6AQ5's ABSOLUTLEY
FREE!"

(grin)