Old July 15th 03, 08:31 AM
starman

"I. P. Yurin" wrote:

I hate to be a dullard, but in so many ways I am. I accept that.

And I realize this is not really s/w related, but I like this group
and it's full of smart radio people.

Basically, I would like to know what "this" is:

I found it by searching on a certain radio station. In any case, the
picture shows what seems to be a tuner, with stations, rather than
freq's listed on the dial.

What intrigues me is that many of these stations are local NYC and
ones I listen to regularly. The write-up makes it seem like this tuner
will be better than a "normal" tuner that covers the whole band. Is
that true?

For those who cannot or choose not to view the web page, the
description of this item is:

THIS IS A RARE KARG 10 STATION MONO TUNER(CA.1960) IN VERY NICE
ORIGINAL CONDITION...IT WORKS WELL,AND EXCEPT FOR A MINOR PRESSURE
MARK NEXT TO THE UPPER LEFT FACEPLATE SCREW,AND A TINY MARK(SHOWN) IS
THE CLEANEST AND BEST PERFORMING OF ANY KARG I'VE HAD...THE USE OF 10
INDIVIDUAL CRYSTAL COILS PROVIDE STABLE DRIFT FREE TUNING. IT IS
BASICALLY THE FIRST PRESELECTING TUNER EVER MADE..I BELIEVE THAT ALL
THE STATIONS ARE STILL BROADCASTING... THE STATIONS A
WOR-WFUV-WPAT-WNYC-WNTA-WQXR-WRCA-WBAI-WNCN-WRFM..IT HAS A MPX OUTPUT
IN REAR FOR A STEREO MPX...PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE YOU BID..NON US
BIDDERS EMAIL FIRST...WINNING BIDDER M-U-S-T MAKE PAYMENT WITHIN 7
DAYS...SOLD AS IS...PAYMENT: POSTAL MONEY ORDER,CHECK, OR BIDPAY
ONLY...NON US BUYER BIDPAY ONLY...BUYER PAYS ACTUAL SHIPPING(AND INS)
PLUS $5 FOR PACKING....

I thank in advance any comrades who bother to answer,

The Karg 'Tunematic' was an FM tuner intended for use in specific areas
of the country (large cities), thus the pre-programmed stations in the
NYC area on the one in question. The advantage was greater stability
using a tuned crystal circuit for each station instead of a VFO
(variable frequency oscillator) which tends to drift off frequency,
unless well designed, which is expensive. I don't know how many versions
(cities) were available for this tuner.